Compatibility of old .iok files

Posted about 5 years ago by Enrico

Post a topic
Solved
E
Enrico

I just installed the 2018.2 b20296 for Windows version of Omniscope and trying to open a classic .iok file created with 2.9 older 2.9 version I get a message that Data Manager view is not supported.

Are old .iok files compatible with this new release? Where can I find information on how to import old iok file in this new version?

0 Votes

1 Comments

P

Paola Tomei posted about 5 years ago Admin

Hi Enrico,

sorry for the slow response, this post got misplaced in the new forum system... 

I'm glad that we've managed to organise a meeting in Milan - please feel free to contact us if you ever visted London. Regarding any technical issues, you might get faster response by contacting our support@visokio.com

New Omniscope – the web application, is backwards compatible and will allow you to continue to use the old 2.9 (or Classic) IOK formatted reports. Once you’ve understood the benefits of the new application, you will be able to switch between the two, using them for different purposes.

One thing to understand is that the new download contains both versions and you can open at any point the old desktop application and create new/edit old iok reports in the same interface as before.

You can open the desktop app from the small Omniscope icon in the task tray on Windows/ top of the screen on Mac, and right-click > ‘open classic’.

Another option is to use the data prepared and stored in an iok file as a data source in the new web application, by adding it via a File input block.

If you wanted to transfer the old iok, containing a complex ETL process, to the new format, you could follow the steps :

Open the project page (that lists files/folders) and upload the iok file

Open the file - you will see the ‘old mobile interface’, from the 2.9  version, that might greet you with the message ‘DataManager not supported’. Click on the 3-dot menu in the top right-hand corner and click on the option to update to IOX file.

You should see now your ETL process configured in the new web app, with the legacy Omniscope block still on the screen. You may wish to connect it to a Text input block, with a single row, execute, then delete. (the step will enforce the legacy block to drop the data stored inside, before you can get rid of it altogether).

You can now add one or multiple new Report blocks in order to configure the new data visualisations. These are built using a different technology, therefore no automated upgrade was possible.

Another scenario is to use the new application for the big data processing, then pump the clean data into an existing iok file that contains configured visualisations.

(you may have legacy reports that do the job well, and wish to keep them ‘as is’, while benefiting from the better processing performance in the new app)

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment