Passing parameters between .iok

Posted about 5 years ago by Enrico

Post a topic
Solved
E
Enrico

Is it possible to declare a parameter in a .iok file and read it in other .iok files also when the first one is closed?

I've been able to declare a parameter in a .iok file and use it in other ones but only if the first .iok is opened when the others are running.

0 Votes

7 Comments

Sorted by
Mustafa Hafeez

Mustafa Hafeez posted over 4 years ago Admin

Cheyram,

That is correct. You would have some globally defined values on the server, and all your "Projects" will use these as values, and then execute time from within "Scheduler" you can choose to change them or leave them as default. 

We haven't yet decided what happens for per-project overriding the default. Maybe "Workflow" you could possibly override the defaults, so each "Project", but can be overwritten with "Execute" block action within Scheduler. If you do require per-project to have "different" parameter values do let us know.

Having said all that you would need to upgrade your files to new "Project" files - if that makes sense - in other words it won't work for "IOK" files which are designed for "Omniscope Classic". 

If you like I am happy to arrange a call, and we can discuss your use case.

Regards,

Mustafa

0 Votes

C

Cheyam Shaked posted over 4 years ago

Thanks Mustafa,

So to confirm these Global Parameter values will be used for all iok's running on a particular machine unless overwritten in a particular iok's execute actions?

Thanks,

Chey

0 Votes

Mustafa Hafeez

Mustafa Hafeez posted over 4 years ago Admin

Hi All,

We are currently actively working on introducing "Parameters" in Omniscope Evo. We haven't fully covered all scenarios, however, the basic idea is that you would be able to:

• Specify a list of parameters ("key" and "value" pairings) in a global place within the "Admin section". 
  • You would then be able to use these global "Parameters" within your Workflow block options.
  • At execution time these "Parameter" will be replaced with the actual value of the parameter.
  • Within the "Scheduler" you would be able to override these values through the "Execute" action.

This all means that you would have parameters defined globally. In the "Project" itself you would refer the "parameter" name - allowing you to specify value globally to be used for execution.

0 Votes

C

Cheyam Shaked posted over 4 years ago

Hi Steve and Enrico,

Indeed we have similar requirement. Bookmarks in current form in 2.9 dont cater for changing of DB servers once they are added to Datamanager canvas (see http://archives.visokio.com/forums/forums.visokio.com/discussion/2763/integration-central-list-of-parameters-in-a-files.html) so this functionality you speak of Steve will need to be different from what is available in 2.9 if it will work for Enrico and us.

Thank you,

Chey

0 Votes

Steve Spencer

Steve Spencer posted about 5 years ago Admin

We intend to support this use case using bookmarks, which we'll develop soon for Omniscope 2019.

0 Votes

E

Enrico posted about 5 years ago

In particular, I'd like to create a .iok file with some global parameters (like IP address of DB servers I need to connect to, users, ...) and distribute and use these parameters in all the others .iok files (where these connections are used).

In this way if I have to change one of these parameters I do not need to modify all the .iok files where they are used but only the one where they are declared.

1 Votes

Steve Spencer

Steve Spencer posted about 5 years ago Admin

Parameter passing is intended to allow two Omniscope files of different datasets to pass an active data selection in one Omniscope instance, to the other, as a parameter, e.g. to drive filters in a database block.

Instead perhaps you can use one IOK file as a data source in another IOK file, and filter the data by using a join/merge block?

0 Votes

Login or Sign up to post a comment