In Omniscope Evo we have added ability to create "Bookmarks" - functionality that allows users to reuse workflow blocks, without having to configure them repeatedly in multiple projects.
A bookmark is a snapshot of a given block configurations which can then be added to the workflow by any user in future projects. Those who have used Omniscope Classic will be familiar with the concept.
In Omniscope Evo any block, apart from the Data Table block, can be bookmarked. This also means Report blocks can be bookmarked (with pre-configured visualisations and filters) and reused in multiple projects.
Bookmarks are saved at application level and could be edited at any time, subject to permissions (see below for more details).
Example use cases:
- Database block - once you have configured the credentials/location you want to save the block, so that you can use it without having to re-enter the details again.
- Report block - design a beautiful report, then bookmark it and use as a template in multiple projects to customise the result in seconds and create variations with different data inputs.
Important: Bookmarks can be seen by anyone who has Project editor permission, however, to create bookmarks we have added new Edit bookmarks permission (in folder permissions) which by default is turned off, so you would need to explicitly turn it on to start using bookmarks.
Creating a bookmark
To create a bookmark open any block, or select a single block. You will see a bookmark icon in the toolbar
When you click on the bookmark icon you will be able to give the bookmark a name and enter a brief description.
Note: Description can be written as markdown.
Once a bookmark has been created it will be available from the Add block picker in any project across the server.
You can also search for your bookmarked blocks from the Add block search bar if necessary. You can then simply drag and drop the target block onto the workflow, or click on it, just like on any other input block.
Once the bookmarked block has been added to the workflow, it is simply a copy of the bookmarked settings at that moment in time. In other words, the bookmarks are not dynamic (unlike the parameters), so once it's added the block will not take note of the changes made to the bookmark configuration.
Replacing existing bookmark
To replace an existing bookmark configuration you would need to follow the same steps as "Creating a bookmark", but in the Create/replace dialog choose "Replace existing bookmark" option and select the bookmark you wish to reconfigure.
Renaming / deleting / ordering bookmarks
You can additionally delete or rename existing bookmark, including description through the Bookmark manager, which is accessible from the three dots menu in Evo Workflow app.
The bookmark manager not only allows you to rename / delete, but it also allows you to change the order of your bookmarks and manage how they appear in the Add block menu.
Bookmarks are stored in a file which by default is found in the same location as the config.xml. This setting can be changed from Admin web app > Web server > Settings section.
- Data table block cannot be bookmarked.
- Report attachments are not part of the bookmark. For example, if you use Map view with shape files, and you have configured to add shape file using the project attachment mechanism, you will need to add again the shape files after adding the Report bookmark.
- At present you can bookmark a single block (any number of these). We intend to widen the functionality to allow multiple blocks to be grouped and saved as a bookmark that performs a specific function. Future development will also allow you to bookmark data visualisation "Views" within the Report in similar fashion.